Software Cluster Versus Hardware Cluster Video
Why a software cluster with load balancing, real-time replication and failover is more simple than a hardware cluster (shared disk cluster, load balancer)?
Evidian SafeKit is a software cluster with load balancing, real-time replication and automatic failover (free trial available here).
With SafeKit, the following architectures can be implemented:
The benefits of a software cluster are:
A hardware cluster based on a shared disk requires:
- replicated mirror SAN with special bays of disks when servers are put in remote sites
- a failover cluster kit
- OS Enterprise editions
- DB Enterprise editions
- and specific IT skills when configuring the solution
A hardware cluster based on load balancers requires:
- 2 load balancers for hardware redundancy and failover
- specific network IT skills for configuration
- additionnal mechanism for critical application supervision and data replication
The SafeKit software cluster is compared in this video to hardware clusters (load balancers, shared disk cluster, replicated SAN). The video shows the distinctive advantages of the SafeKit software cluster.
More information on server cluster – clustering software vs hardware clustering…